Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Tuesday 26 May 2015

Game Time! Cootie

Game Time! Cootie

Year: 1993

Ages: 3+

Players: 2-4 (For the purpose of this review, there were 2 players)

Set Up Time: 2 minutes

Playing Time: Took us 7 minutes

Object: Be the first to build your own Cootie bug by rolling the Cootie Cube to collect all the parts you need: First the body, then the head, then all other Cootie pieces.

Review:
+ Since this game is aimed at children 3+ (although I do remember playing it way past 3), it's a very simple game that kids will understand. 
+ Even though this game is about bugs, they are adorable bugs. If they would have looked creepy or in any way like a real bug, I highly doubt I would have played it as much as I did.

- There is too much dice rolling involved. Basically, every number relates to a different part of the bug. 1 is head, 2 is body and so on. You HAVE to roll a 1 first and you HAVE to roll a 2 second, then after you can roll whatever. It takes quite a lot of turns to get a 1 and then get a 2. Plus when you Cootie is almost built and you only need to land on one more number, it's pretty much just a dice rolling game. I think that instead of having a dice with numbers that correspond to a body part, they should have just had a dice with pictures of all the body parts on it. 
- Since there are four Cooties you can build, there are a TON of little piece. 24 legs, 8 eyes, 8 ears, 4 tongues. If any of these pieces go missing (or several), it pretty much renders this game unplayable.

Overall:
I have a lot of nostalgic feelings towards this game as I played it so much as a kid. For whatever reason my game box smelled like those Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle candies I ate in the 90s that came in little green turtles. Man, I miss those. I always used the turtles afterwards as pets for my Barbies. Anyway, the game would be great for kids just learning about body parts and ones who can't read yet, since there is no reading involved in this game. Thankfully, they made the bugs cute which always appealed to both my brother and myself. Unfortunately, this game isn't made for adults as it becomes a very boring game of dice rolling. They could have improved the dice by making ones with body part pictures on it instead of just a dice with numbers relating to body parts. In the end, I will always cherish this game as part of my childhood, but it just doesn't belong in my adulthood.


C+

**Check back every Tuesday for another board game review! See below for previous Game Time posts and follow me on Twitter @popculturedlife more**



No comments:

Post a Comment