Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Tuesday 9 June 2015

Game Time! Guess Who: Star Wars Edition

Guess Who: Star Wars Edition

Year: 2010

Ages: 6+

Players: 2 players

Set Up Time: 1 minute

Playing Time: Took us 7 minutes

Object: Guess your opponents mystery character before your opponent guesses yours.

Review:
+ Always love the rule that the youngest player goes first. Mainly because I always am the youngest player....

- It's actually kinda hard. I would say that I have an average amount of knowledge when it comes to Star Wars (unlike Kyle, who knows an extraordinary amount) and I found this game hard to play. I'm used to original Guess Who where you ask "Is your player bald?" or "Is your player wearing a hat?" but here the questions are geared to A LOT more Star Wars knowledge than I have. Kyle would ask me questions like "Is your player a Zabrak?" or "Is your player part of the Empire?" and if it wasn't for the chart that they include with the set of instructions my permanent answer would have been "I don't know" because I don't. I asked questions which were based on physical appearance rather than knowledge "Is your player holding a light saber?" or "Is your player wearing a helmet?" My main problem with this is the fact that this game is clearly made for kids with the cartoon styling pictures and I don't know if KIDS would know who is part of the Empire  or the Light Side. I'm in my mid-twenties I don't know these things (aside from the main characters of course.) I do know Luke is good and Darth Vader is bad but if I was asked about Asajj Ventress? Frick, I can't even pronounce her name. 

- It's a lot smaller than I remember. Those pictures seem super small these days and maybe my eyes are just aging but I couldn't play with the game board on the table, I actually had to hold it up in front of me just to see all everything properly. So is it just me or did these things get smaller? Anyone?
- There is also another way to play called "Challenge Mode" which might as well be called "Impossible for Staci mode". Basically, you pick two mystery players instead of one and when you ask questions you can either ask "Does one of your players" or "Does both of your players" but you have to be careful when eliminating people and you have to remember what questions you asked. This proved to be impossible for me who couldn't remember what I had asked, knocked down the wrong people and was utterly confused by the end of the game. Unless I wrote the questions and the answers down on a chart, I just don't have the brain space these days to remember it all. 

Overall:
Although I love the fact that the youngest player goes first (mainly because that's always me!) that was pretty much the ONLY thing I liked about this game. Even with the chart they provide you, you pretty much need an intermediate to advanced level of Star Wars knowledge and since this game is aimed for 6+ , I don't think that they would have that kind of knowledge unless they are superfans at a young age. The game board and picture cards are done in kid friendly drawings but are SO much smaller than they used to be (of course I am also a lot older than the last time I played this game so maybe it's like the whole Wagon Wheel thing. Did they get smaller or did I get bigger? I'll never know). The game comes with a challenge mode that Kyle enjoyed but I found to be torture because I just can't remember all the things I need to. 

Upgrade or Not?
Unless you are an avid Star Wars fan and can name the gender, species, roles, light/dark side and affiliation group for the top 25 Star Wars characters, don't trade in your original version.
C-

**Stay tuned to my blog every Tuesday for more board game reviews! Check out some previously posted board game reviews below and follow me on Twitter @popculturedlife for more**

No comments:

Post a Comment